Thursday, September 11, 2008

Taco Soup

Taco Soup with Pork and Beans
(adapted from a recipe in the Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook)
1 lb. ground beef
half a small onion, finely diced
1 envelope dry taco seasoning
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/8 tsp. red cayenne pepper
15-oz. can kidney beans, undrained
15-oz. can whole kernel corn, undrained
15-oz. can pork and beans
15-oz. can diced tomatoes
taco chips
shredded cheese
sour cream
sliced jalepenos (optional)

Brown beef in skillet. Drain. Place in slow cooker. Stir in onion, taco seasoning, brown sugar, and pepper. Add beans, corn, pork and beans, and tomatoes. Mix well. Cover. Cook on Low 4-6 hours. Garnish individual servings with taco chips, cheese, dollop of sour cream, and a slice or two of jalepenos, if desired.

Karla's Note: We had this Tuesday night. Lyle rated it a 4. I have made a very similar taco soup on the stove top for years. Just thought I would try this one to see how it turned out in the crockpot and see if I could improve on my original recipe. I didn't think it needed the brown sugar. I won't add that if I make it again.

0 comments: